These are the RESULTS of the 2015 Malta National Indoor Rowing Championship with the following being declared as the National Champions for the 2000m category:
Heavyweight Male (Overall): Martin Dugas (University of Malta Rowing)
Heavyweight Male (Maltese): Maximilian Mamo (Bormla Regatta)
Lightweight Male: Glenn Zammit (Birzebbugia Regatta)
Heavyweight Female: Romina Bugeja (Birzebbugia Regatta)
Lightweight Female: Nicole Gatt (STARMAX)
Further information and photos are available here. Well done to all. It was an excellent event. Well done to all the winners and participants. Hope to see you all next year. Special THANKS to our sponsors: Topaz Hotel who where the Main Sponsors of this event as well as Challenger Gym, Senglea Regatta Club, Bormla Regatta Club and Marsamxett Regatta Club for lending us their equipment.
Date and Venue:
The 2015 Malta National Indoor Rowing Championship will be held at the Topaz Hotel, St Paul’s Bay, Malta on the 21st November 2015. The first race is scheduled to start at 10am. Participants entering as ‘Lightweight’ must weigh-in between 7am and 10am on the day of the competition, or the day before (6pm – 8pm) at the Venue. This is the first National Indoor Rowing Championship organised by the Malta Rowing Association (Ghaqda Regatta Nazzjonali u Qdif Iehor) and the Maltese winners of the Open Categories in the full 2000m length will be declared as the National Champions.
Registration & Schedule:
Start Times for the 2000m (or 750m) Full-Length Races
Start Times for 500m Sprint Races
*All participants had registered online. (Closing date: 19-11-2015)
- Athletes of any nationality may participate in this event.
- Athletes who place 1st, 2nd and 3rd in any race category will be awarded a medal.
- Furthermore, in an attempt to promote the sport of rowing in Malta, additional medals will also be awarded to athletes holding a Maltese passport who place 1st, 2nd and 3rd in any race category.
- For further information, please contact the organisers via email at: email@example.com
No Fees are being charged by a donation is requested to help us cover the costs:
- Participants born after 1st January 1997: €5
- Rowers Registered with Clubs affiliated with Ghaqda Regatta Nazzjonali u Qdif Iehor: €5
- Others: €15
Special Offer on Hotel Accommodation at the Topaz Hotel
Participants and their guest are eligible to stay for a weekend break at the Topaz Hotel at the reduced rate of 25EUR half board per person per night (subject to availability and not inclusive of the donation). This may be booked through through the online form and paid by Sunday 14th November 2015. In the case of participants under the age of 18, this offer should be booked in the name of a responsible adult. This offer is also extended to all registered rowers with Clubs affiliated with Ghaqda Regatta Nazzjonali u Qdif Iehor and Committee members.
By entering the competition, a competitor agrees to be bound by the following rules:
- Concept 2 Indoor Rowers will be used.
- Each competitor will only row in a maximum of two races: the ‘full length’ and the ‘sprint’ categories and their choice must be stated on registration.
- There is no need to be a registered rower with one of the Regatta/Rowing Clubs affiliated with Ghaqda Regatta Nazzjonali u Qdif Iehor to take part. Nevertheless, if you with to take up rowing on a more long term basis, you are encouraged to get in touch with one of our affiliated clubs.
- Rowers registered with Clubs affiliated with ‘Ghaqda Regatta Nazzjonali u Qdif Iehor’ are required to participate in the name of their Regatta/Rowing Club they are registered with and may benefit from a reduced application fee of €5. If the registered rower qualifies for the ‘Student Category’, his/her entry may be entered under both the ‘Regatta/Rowing Club’ and the educational institution, unless there are objections from the ‘Regatta/Rowing Club’.
- Competitors may use the “drag factor” setting of their choice, but this cannot be changed during the race.
- Details of race categories are listed below.
- All races are considered as “finals”. The times from the races will be ranked to give an overall listing for the eligible categories.
- Competitors will automatically be entered in the age categories they qualify for.
- Student entrants will automatically be entered in the corresponding junior/senior championship category. Separate races will NOT be held and there is no additional cost to be paid.
- In the event of an equipment failure, competitors may, at the discretion of the organisers, be given the opportunity to compete in another race and still be eligible for a prize.
- A provisional schedule will be emailed to all competitors and placed on the event website by Friday 20th November 2015. Any mistakes should be notified as soon as possible but not later than one hour BEFORE the scheduled start time of the race.
- Malta Rowing enforces a stringent Anti-Doping Policy that adheres to guidelines recommended by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), FISA and the National Antidoping Organisation (NADO) who may perform tests on competitors. This is because we believe that our rowers have the right to compete with the peace of mind that they know that they, and their competitors, are clean. The use of performance-enhancing drugs and doping activity severely damages the legacy of sport and undermines the integrity of true athletes. Further details may be obtained from here.
In each of the categories mentioned below, male and female rowers will be ranked separately.
In each of the categories mentioned below, races will be held over the following distances:
(a) Full length: 750m for athletes born on or after 1st January 2001 or 2000m for all other age categories;
(b) Sprint category: 500m
(a) Junior Age Group Categories
These are based on the competitor’s age on the 1st January 2015. Refer to the table below.
J12 – born on or after 1st January 2003
J14 -born on or after 1st January 2001
J16 -born on or after 1st January 1999
J18 – born on or after 1st January 1997
All junior competitors must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(b) Youth Age Category:
Open for athletes born on or after 1st January 1992.
(c) Open Category
Anyone, irrespective of age.
(d) Master Age Group Categories
The Master Categories are open to participants over 30 years of age. Further sub-categories for Masters will be as follows: 30-39, 40-49, 50-60, 60+. These are based on the competitor’s age on the day of the event, i.e. the 21st November 2015. For example, a competitor whose 40th birthday is on the day of the Championship would compete in 40-49 category. For international record purposes, the 40+ age group will be further split into sub-categories.
Lightweight Event Weight Limits (for ages 16+):
Men 75kg or less Women 61.5kg or less.
Lightweight competitors must weigh-in between 7am and 10am on the day of the competition or the day before between 6pm-8pm at the Venue. Competitors who do not make their weight by 1 hour prior to their scheduled start time will not be able to compete as ‘lightweight’.
College/University Student Categories:
Students registered with:
- University of Malta*
- Junior College
- Higher Secondary
- De La Salle College 6th Form
- St Aloysius’ College 6th Form
- St. Edward’s College 6th Form
- St. Martin’s College 6th Form
are eligible to compete in the Student Categories as follows:
- Student Male Heavyweight, born before 31st December 1997
- Student Male Lightweight, born before 31st December 1997
- Student Female Heavyweight, born before 31st December 1997
- Student Female Lightweight, born before 31st December 1997
- Junior Student Male, born after 1st January 1997
- Junior Student Female, born after 1st January 1997
If your higher, further or post-secondary education institution is not listed, and you wish to compete under the name of your institution, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org (* Students of the University of Malta who wish to enrol with University of Malta Rowing Club are to send an email to email@example.com).
You must be logged in to post a comment.